The DNA of History
Your creation and resurrection are like the creation and resurrection of a single soul. (Quran, 31:28)
One who cannot draw upon three thousand years of history is living from hand to mouth. (Goethe)
The DNA of History: History according to Iqbal helps you grasp the story of human being on this planet, master the basics of history and relate it easily to your life.
The course has been designed and will be conducted by Khurram Ali Shafique, who has received the Presidential Iqbal Award for his book Iqbal: an Illustrated Biography (2006). The course is based on a very popular workshop conducted by him for educational institutions in Pakistan.
1. An outline of history: Afraid of remembering all those dates? Don't be. The outline of history provided in this course offers a broad overview of history and takes you step by step through the process of internalizing it.
2. Key messages of history: What are the basic ideas which we should keep in mind for studying history? This course offers a few simple answers from Iqbal.
3. History of the future? The course will provide several tips for exploring the relationship of history with the destiny of nations - a good starting point for beginning your personal journey on that road.
The course material comprises mainly of three components:
- the course manual;
- videos; and
The Course Manual consists of lessons and useful tables, and is provided PDF and MSWord formats. It can be printed out for doing the activities.
Videos are mostly a selection from what is already available on the Internet - a kind of a list of recommended viewing to go with the course.
Blog/Discussion Group. Each lesson in the manual leads to an open-ended question involving reflection and thinking from the participants. They are required to post their answers as "comments" on the official blog of the course, or as posts on their own blogs if they have any. Timings are flexible (you can plan whether you want to do it on a daily basis or just once or twice a week).
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Will the course material be posted at home?
A. You can receive all the course material through the Internet. It will be emailed to you.
Q. If it's online, then why the specific dates?
A. Specific dates for the beginning and end of the course have been assigned mainly to ensure that most participants take part in the online discussion around the same time, and to assign a date when the professional obligation of the course facilitator comes to an end: if there is no end-date, then we would be obliged to remain engaged for an unlimited time, which might not be feasible.
Designed and Conducted by
Khurram Ali Shafique,
author of Iqbal: an Illustrated Biography
Iqbal Academy Pakistan
in co-ordination with
International Iqbal Society (Formerly DISNA)
- Minimum age limit is 13+ (minors may be asked to take permission from their guardians). Minimum qualification is lower secondary (Grade 8).
- Presently the course is being offered in English only. However, it is designed with special consideration for the difficulties faced by many non-native speakers – we do not want language to become a handicap.
It is a 10-week course offered four times a year.
- Foreign applicants: US$ 24 (Twenty-four US dollars) plus postage and handling of the certificate (optional)
- Subsidised fee for Pakistani applicants: PKR 1000 (Rupees One Thousand)
How to get enrolled
- Registration is closed.
- Registration is closed.